I have a bad habit, when it comes to how I set my books up on KDP. And that bad habit is one-word keywords. To be fair, it wasn’t a habit I knew I had – to me, Keywords is keywords is keywords. However, as it turns out, this isn’t really a good idea. Thankfully on Kboards, the wonderful Stella Wilkinson made a fairly big post about Amazon keywords and how to use them, because as she says:
While I think that covers and blurbs generate sales, your keywords generate people looking at the book in the first place.
I’m pretty happy with my covers and Blurbs, but the keywords were fairly basic. mainly the obvious ones like “Werewolves” and “Western.” Looking at those, and reading through Stella’s post, it’s pretty obvious that those would bring back THOUSANDS of results, and my beloved stories would be very quickly lost in the shuffle. So I went through and changed the keywords on every single High Moon Rising books to:
Werewolves romance fantasy, western cowboy action, paranormal fantasy, historical western fantasy, weird west, gunslingers action, shifter romance
Now, I will admit that some of these are a bit cheeky. There are romance elements in my stores, but they’re far from the main part of it. nevertheless, I figured I’d give it a try. I don’t know whether it will have long term payoff, but literally five minutes after changing them, I had my first sale in about three days. – although I’ve had over 1000 Kindle Unlimited pagereads this week, so I can’t complain too much.
Anyways, we shall see how things go with that one. i should probably get back to writing now, rather than dicking around on Kboards and constantly pressing refresh on my sales report page.